Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Drum roll please...

So the 81st Academy Awards celebrated the apparent best films of 2008 on Sunday, so naturally there would be a post on the subject as it is ‘Hollywood's night of nights’.

I have to first start of by declaring my undying love for Hugh Jackman-he was amazing! After years of watching the Academy choose a comedian to host, I was surprised when I found out that they had named Hugh Jackman. I admit, I was very nervous for him; he isn’t a funny guy, so how on earth would he pull of this huge event? Well with song and dance…obviously. The moment he started singing, my mouth fell open and the voice in my head said ‘Of course!’ What better way to utilise our Jackman’s talents then by getting him to do what he does best.

In terms of winners and losers, I have to say that this year I found no dispute with any of the winners. Usually there is always a hand full of winners that don’t deserve the title, but not this year; everything was too my liking, so thank you AMPAS for catering to my needs.

I was backing Penelope Cruz for Best Supporting Actress, and honestly didn’t think she had much of a chance, not because the other nominees were better, but because AMPAS is stupid. Stupid no longer (we’ll see how long it lasts).

Best Supporting Actor went to Heath Ledger-as was very rightfully deserved. I don’t think anyone in that room, or in the world for that matter, would have had it any different. Even if one of the other nominees had won, they would probably wished they hadn’t, what with the whole world backing Ledger. The Ledger family gave a nice moving speech, and it was apparent that a lot of the actors in the room were visibly moved.

Kudos to Kate Winselt. Finally…finally! She probably should have had that statue years and years ago, but I guess it has more value now. Even though I was supporting Angelina Jolie for her role in Changeling I have to say I was happy none-the-less when they called Winslet’s name. My only reservation about the win is that it should have been for her role in Revolutionary Road (brilliant film, I will be reviewing it soon) and not The Reader, but as AMPAS are a pain in the arse, they completely snubbed RR. I found her to be very ordinary in The Reader and the performance was not as strong as Streep (for Doubt) or Jolie. But regardless, I am happy she has been officially inaugurating into the Best Actress club.

And what more is there to say about the greatness that is Sean Penn? He is such a versatile actor who can bloody do anything! I must point out however that my feelings towards the Best Actor Category were largely apathetic because the best performance of 2008 was disrespectfully not even nominated. Leonardo Dicaprio should have been the winner in my eyes. His role in Revolutionary Road was completely breathtaking and surpassed all the other nominees. Why AMPAS…why?

In the writing categories I was also pleased. Simon Beaufoy’s win for Best Adapted Screenplay for Slumdog Millionaire was hands down well deserved. That movie was great because of four things; it’s perfected screenplay, amazing editing, incredible musical score and of course the astonishing direction of Danny Boyle. So it was nice to see that it got the award for each of those categories. Well done to A.R Rahman for his double win for Best Original Score and Best Original Song.

And to finish of my post, it’s fitting that I should end with my thoughts on Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire’s win was worthy...very worthy. Of the films nominated it was the clearly the best, but again, had Revolutionary Road been nominated and lost to SM, then I would be bitchin’ and moanin’. What I loved about that win was how the producer, Christian Colson, invited the entire crew who worked on the film to collect the award with him. This really highlighted the art of cinema for me; a great film is a collaborative effort, and credit shouldn’t be singled out but given collectively.


3 comments:

  1. hallo!
    i agree with you on most points (at least the ones which touch on films i have actually seen), except the last: i know i am in the minority when i say i believe Slumdog Millionnaire is extremely overrated. Director Danny Boyle did so well by depicting the harsh reality of life in the slums, but he failed to follow that up with a realistic storyline. The ending, while uplifting, was a disappointingly cliched conclusion to an otherwise rich and intricately woven narrative. Having said that, I ackowledge the Academy's propensity for selecting as winners those films which tug on society's collective heartstrings, often placing the popular choice ahead of the more ambitious, daring films. So the result does not really surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i said before, it was the best film of those nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read a review of yours that is on a film. What did you think of Watchmen?

    ReplyDelete